Space Maintainers – Garland, TX
Addressing Early Tooth Loss to Prevent Misalignment
For the first few years of your child’s life, they are sporting a full mouth of baby teeth. What was once an adorable gummy smile is now full of chompers that they will use on just about anything. While these primary pearly whites are meant to fall out and be replaced by permanent teeth one day, your child may experience early tooth loss that can put their remaining, healthy ones at risk. To avoid the potential for misalignment, our team at Shiny Smiles Pediatric Dentistry is pleased to provide space maintainers to keep teeth in their rightful place. Call us to find out if your child might benefit from this type of appliance.
Why Choose Shiny Smiles Pediatric Dentistry for Space Maintainers?
- Late Evening Hours Available
- Board-Certified Pediatric Dentist
- We Prioritize Patients’ Comfort
Types of Space Maintainers
When learning that your child needs a space maintainer, you may wonder about the type of material used to create this unique device. At Shiny Smiles Pediatric Dentistry, Dr. Lily and our team can use two different options: acrylic or metal. The choice is ultimately yours, as we want our patients to be comfortable with their decision, but we will be happy to go over them both during an appointment as well as discuss the cost of each.
The two types of space maintainers that are available include:
- Fixed – Young children who may find it funny or tempting to mess with their space maintainer will likely benefit from a fixed appliance, as it cannot be removed by anyone other than Dr. Lily. This will ensure that their permanent tooth grows into the space correctly.
- Removable – If an older child does not yet have one or more permanent teeth, but our team believes they are preparing to erupt soon, we can insert a removable space maintainer. This makes it easy for children to take proper care of their oral hygiene by removing the appliance and reinserting it once brushing and flossing are complete.
Why Are Space Maintainers Necessary?
It may seem difficult to grasp the reason why space maintainers are necessary, but there is a clear explanation our Dr. Lily provides.
Yes, baby teeth are supposed to fall out on their own in preparation for permanent teeth to erupt. However, if this occurs too early, nearby teeth will attempt to shift to cover the space. As a result, your child’s smile can become misaligned. It will also cause permanent teeth to erupt awkwardly, which will then require orthodontic intervention to fix.
By placing a space maintainer inside your child’s mouth, we can avoid the cost of extensive orthodontics in the future and help to keep healthy teeth in their proper place.
Caring For Your Child’s Space Maintainer
Having this type of device inside your child’s mouth might seem daunting when thinking about how to keep it clean, but Dr. Lily offers some helpful tips to make this time easier:
- Maintain regular dental checkups and cleanings with our board-certified pediatric dentist, Dr. Lily
- Make sure to help or oversee your child’s brushing habits to ensure that the space maintainer is properly cleaned
- Do not let your child chew gum
- Help them avoid sticky/chewy foods
- Remind them not to push on the maintainer with their finger or tongue, as it can become dislodged or damaged